Family Immigration Lawyer Services

Peri B. Edelman's family immigration lawyer services can help your spouse, child or loved one obtain a family based green card.

Peri B. Edelman's family immigration lawyer services have helped many desperate families obtain legal permanent residency for their loved ones. She has successfully obtained green cards for thousands of individuals since 1996. She has represented:

  • Foreign nationals came to the United States on a nonimmigrant visa
  • People who crossed the border without inspection (which would require an I-601A Provisional Waiver for Unlawful Presence)
  • Families with relatives who have never been to the United States
  • Families with relatives who have been convicted of criminal activity (which would require of waiver of inadmissibility), and who have committed fraud or misrepresentation (which would require a waiver of inadmissibility).

She is very dedicated to her clients and understands each client has their own special needs.

USA flag american travel tourists people holding flag in Grand Canyon banner background. Happy young interracial couple cheering during summer holidays.

Family Based Green Card Basics

Foreign nationals can obtain legal permanent residence (green card) through Adjustment of Status in the United States or Consular Processing. A family immigration lawyer will help you navigate the court system and put you on the easiest path to obtaining a family based green card.

  • As United States citizen or green card holder (permanent resident) you may be able to apply for certain family members to become a lawful permanent resident (get their Green Card).  Becoming a lawful permanent resident is a two-part to three-part process which includes the petition you file for your relative (Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) and your relative’s application for adjustment of status (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or an immigrant visa through the Department of State through Consular Processing.
  • A immigrant visa applicant who has a U.S. citizens or awful Permanent Resident spouse or parent may request an Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver based on Grounds of Inadmissibility through Form I-601A if he or she entered without inspection and it would be an extreme hardship to that spouse or parent if the applicant was not afforded a green card.

There are many classifications in the family-based process.

  • A U.S. citizen, you may file a petition for a spouse, unmarried child under 21 years of age; a child of any age married or unmarried, step-child (provided that you were married to the respective parent prior to the child’s 18th birthday), a parent (if you are 21 years of age or older), a step-parent (provided that your parent was married to your step-parent prior to your 18th birthday).
  • A Green Card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for a spouse (husband or wife), and unmarried child under 21 years of age, and an unmarried child of any age to immigrate to the United States as a legal permanent resident.
  • A U.S. citizen may bring his or her foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married. A U.S. Citizen usually only chooses this option when the fiancé is not eligible for a visitor visa to enter the United States. In order to obtain a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, the U.S. citizen and fiancé(e) must marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the U.S as a K-1. A fiancé visa is an immigrant visa that is eligible for adjustment of status (green card). If you have already married, plan to marry outside the United States, or your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, your spouse or fiancé(e) is not eligible for a fiancé(e) visa.

If you need a Family Immigration Lawyer, contact Peri B. Edelman today